Sunday, June 27, 2010

I am back from a HOT week of camping :)


Ahhh....it is nice to be home.  Nice cool air condition, my own bed, not having to walk down the street to take a shower or go to the bathroom, home is great.  I have had a fun week camping at the lake, even though to have an enjoyable swim where the water wasn't really warm, you had to go out in the deep part.  It was still very enjoyable.  i didn't know I was going to, but I did a lot of baking this past week....baking in the sun that is.  There wasn't tons of shade and it was HOT outside.  But anyways....to the food!

I was in charge of cooking dinner for two nights.  The first night I cooked, I had previously cooked a chicken casserole before we left so all we had to do was warm it up.  Normally when I cook this dish, I just cook french fries to go with it.  However, I am just kinda tired of french fries because at my house, that is what we have almost every night.  So I wanted to mix things up a little.  So here is what I did:

Camp Fried Potatoes
(Instructions are slightly modified from what I actually did but have not tried it this exact way yet)
(Sorry for the bad quality pictures...I had to use my phone because I had not thought about sharing this, so I was not prepared.)

First, get some potatoes - about three average sized ones.  Wash them, peel them if you like, and cut them in bite sized pieces. 
Melt a stick of butter in a skillet. I suggest low heat.  When the butter starts to sizzle, put your cut up potatoes in the skillet and stir it around to get them all nice and coated with the butter.  Then just let the potatoes sit there for about 3-5 minutes. If you are tempted to stir them DON'T!  This will help them get nice and brown.  Around three minutes, you may want to take a fork or something to check one of the pieces.  If it isn't looking how brown you want it, then leave it longer.  The time is more of a guideline, not set in stone.
Now you can stir them around.  Let it sir for 3-5 more minutes.  Then stir them again.  Do this about 2 or 3 more times until all the sides of the potatoes are turning nice and brown.
Take a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and sprinkle it all over the potatoes.  Stir it all up so it all gets coated nicely.  If your potatoes don't look like they are all coated you can add another package....it just depends on the size of your potatoes.  Do the sit-stir routine a couple more times until the potatoes get kind of soft.  The onions in the mix will burn easily so don't let it sit for too long.  About 2-3 minutes will probably be good.
Once they are all brown and soft, take them out and serve.



Easy enough I think.  The hardest part, for me that is, is waiting and NOT stirring them.
Mine got a little burnt quite a bit done.  I put the soup mix in at the beginning so the onions in the mix kinda turned black quickly.  But I changed that in my instructions.  They did still taste good though...except for the occasional well-done piece.

Well...now I have to go start packing to go visit my grandparents.  See ya in about another week!
I am going to try a couple cake ideas soon!  :)


The Girl Creative
MarketingMondays

0 comments:

Post a Comment